When was the last time you were asked ‘Did you smile today’? On average, adults only smile 20 times per day. Children smile on average up to 400 times per day.
When we smile, we release three hormones which make us feel great and help to lower our stress levels. These three hormones are dopamine, serotonin and endorphins.
Dopamine helps us to feel motivated, helps our moods, sleep and memory.
Serotonin helps us to regulate our mood.
Endorphins help with pain relief as it acts as the body’s natural pain killers.
If you have noticed that you haven’t smiled much recently, try the following:
- Spend time with family and friends who make you laugh
- Watch a comedy or a cartoon
- Watch your favourite comedian
- Watch a funny sitcom
- Read a funny book
- Learn to laugh at yourself
- Take up something new to do
- Put a laughter quote on your wall at home/work
- Do more of what makes you laugh
If you are struggling with anxiety or depression, contact us: